2015 was a pretty awesome year full of new experiences, growth and accomplishments. It marked my second year of working in software professionally and school seems like a faint memory at this point. Shopify, the company where I work, IPO’d this summer which was an exciting and [possibly] once in a lifetime experience. I think this kind of post is worth doing to reflect before simply setting our sights on the next goal. So here it is my year in review in bullet points:
- Barcelona for FullStack Fest
- Stockholm Sweden for Nordic.js
- Paris France (for just over 24 hours but we saw a lot!)
- Helsinki Finland for Junction 2015
- Costa Rica for vacation
- Peru for a vacation and to hike the Inca Trail!
Sports and Fitness
- new PR squating at 255 lbs for 1 (although now I’m injured as I write this and my squat is low :sadface:)
- ran 3k in 12:35 (mm::ss)
- made a lot of improvement in mobility (I can now touch my toes!)
- I discovered and became addicted to Yoga Tune Up which has really helped support my other fitness goals
- I played my first season of competitive Ultimate with Swift
- I attended 3 away tournaments with Swift in Toronto, New York and Barrie finishing our season at No Borders in Ottawa.
- We didn’t win a lot of games (we were essentially the C team) but we did beat Goose when it counted!
- I played in my first beach tournament ever!
- I wrote my first text editor extension RailsRunMigration
- I made a script to alert me when I spend too much time coding (the irony) coding_timer
- I created some cool infographics for the OCUA Parity League
- merch-my-tweet a bot who automatically creates products from your tweets
- I built my first docker image (trivial but felt cool)
- I also shipped improvements to shopify-sinatra-app and completely re-wrote shopify-app as a proper rails engine